9/15/2007

Fruits on BI-

NO! Not that kind! This has no relation to the last post.

This time I'm talking about the kind that grow on trees. This has been one exceptional year for all kinds of fruit trees. I have two different kinds of plumb trees and they put out bumper crops this summer. Also the peach tree that usually only has a few small and diseased looking examples, has been loaded with peaches as big as any you could buy at the store! And they tasted even better.

After riding all over the Island on my little "Mope-a-dope" (moped)and partaking of at least one apple from all those hanging over the road, and some in peoples back yard, it has to be noted that they are generally, much larger than usual, sweeter, even the ones supposed to NOT be, and with far less surface blemishes than most other years!

So why is that happening this time? I haven't seen anyone out spraying or pruning them. I'm thinking it has to do with the dry summer we have had and not much else! Anybody else got an idea or two?

5 comments:

Sam said...

That is so cool, Everett. I hope you can enjoy the fruit and put some up. I'm not very scientific and don't use chemicals but I did notice that every 5-7 years, goodness happened. And those were years I didn't put down any mulch, water very much, or make up a soap spray. Some trees were so loaded they started breaking branches, so we started freezing and canning real quick.

Never did have any luck with pears, though. Got any on the Island?

-sam

Anonymous said...

Bees?

Everett said...

There used to be fruit tree orchards all over the Island, and pears, Anjuo and Bosc seem to have been the preferred types. They are still viable trees after probably 100 years.
Bees? could be. There seem to have been a lot around. Also because of the dryness, there have been virtually NO mosquitos around my abode!! I also have noticed that we have had a wonderful dearth of the pesky housefly!! I'm usually giving a squort of Raid into the trash/garbage can every time I change it, but haven't had to, not even once this summer! Them little bastards I am happy to see less of!

Anonymous said...

There was a little pear tree outside Cora's house that I loved to see bloom every spring. I bet it had a bumper crop, too!

Anonymous said...

Focussing on the good news!!We have never seen as abundant a crop of fruit before on the island. We thought it was just our trees but every tree we see has been bursting with beautiful, large fruit. Even trees that have not had very tasty apples are sweet and unblemished. We also noted that there was much less fruit drop prior to ripening. Isn't good news wonderful!!!!
As to the house flys----they seem to enjoy finding their way into my house this year through every crack and crevice they can find along with armys of ants which has never been a problem. I take the good with the bad and prefer to think on the bounty of fruit this year.